Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I have my host family!

I just realized that in my last post I had mentioned my host city briefly, but as usual I completely forgot to give any more details and such. I actually got my host family information a few weeks ago, but I completely forgot to blog about it, so I am now!

I will be living in Bekasi in West Java. Bekasi is a suburb of Indonesia's massive capital Jakarta, population 10 million. Bekasi has around 2 million people, it's technically still a suburb but huge on my scale compared to Wisconsin suburbs. It is actually one of the largest suburbs in the world and Indonesia's fourth largest city (thanks wikipedia!). I will be going to a public school in Bekasi a little over a mile from my house, and according to my host family I'll be walking there every morning. My school looks great from the pictures I have seen and I am very excited to be going to a public school like I do in the US.





My host family seems really great and I am really excited to meet them. I have a mom and dad, 18 year old brother and 20 year old sister. My family is very active and adventurous and they like to ride motorcycles, go rafting, and mountain climb. My mom also teaches indonesian language so that'll help a tonnn when it comes to speaking it. 

my family body-rafting


my backyard

outdoor kitchen in my backyard

This is all starting to feel so much more real now that I have my host family, city, and school. I am so excited for going to New York City for orientation in August and then on to Jakarta! Only roughly six more weeks until I am in Jakarta.


2 comments: