Monday, August 19, 2013

One Day More

So today is my last day in Madison. It's pretty crazy to realize that I was accepted to YES Abroad four months and one week ago, and here I am counting down the hours to my departure. It's felt like forever and two weeks ago at the same time that I've been preparing for this journey. And it has been one long preparation process. With conference calls, orientations, shopping for luggage and clothes, and some language study thrown in there, it has been one crazy summer. 

So tomorrow begins the first day of one incredible year away from home. A completely unpredictable but (hopefully) incredible year awaits me in less than 24 hours, which is pretty crazy if you think about it. 

I had my going away party on Saturday night and it was a lot of fun and a really great way to round up my last few days in Madison. It was so hard saying goodbye to everyone as they left, but I know that I'll only be gone for 11 months and then I'll be back sitting around a bonfire with them all again. 

I never really realized how many people know about me and what I am doing. I have had so many friends from middle school and parents of friends that I haven't seen in a few years tell me how excited they are for me and what an incredible opportunity this is. I had no idea so many people knew I was doing this outside of my friends at West and my family. I've gotten handwritten letters in the mail (I don't remember the last time someone mailed me a letter) of friends and family wishing me good luck. It's pretty incredible how many people are supporting me in this journey, and although it's a little bit overwhelming, I just feel so much more proud of accomplishing this.

So there you go. This is my last post in the pre-departure phase. I want to thank everyone who has helped me in this journey (friends, family, and the State Department especially). I seriously couldn't have done this without all of you along with me.

Here goes nothing.








No comments:

Post a Comment